So my partner and I did a huge grocery/pantry shopping 🛒 and I thought why not track my grocery/budget shopping to keep me accountable. For this new year we both want to start eating healthier as well as save money. We like shopping in bulk because it saves us from going to the local market each and every time we need something and anyways when you shop bulk its most always cheaper. So for now on I want to start posting every month my BJ’s haul as well as some weekly grocery hauls here and there. So for this BJ’s trip we spent much more than usual just because we don’t have access to our car ( its being repaired) and took this chance and borrowed my partners mom’s car and stocked up on some staples as you will see..we doubled up on each item. Im guessing this should last us at least until sometime in February. This whole haul cost us exactly $307.50 as you can see from the photo I I didnt include the Perrier nor the 2.5lb of coffee as well as eggs, quinoa and four pounds of cheese ( dont judge 😒😋 )
This is a super easy and simple recipe that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner or hell even snack! Super easy to include whatever your heart may desire! Also burritos are a great addition to your meal plan as it’s very easy to include lots of greens in and take less than 15 minutes of your day to make! Check out the video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH3adCumU18
Check out an easy and super healthy red lentil soup with kale & Broccoli video recipe! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrTmfEo5yJk
These days I have been super busy and have missed blogging! I am back once again with a smoothie recipe that should have been posted last friday! Smoothie’s have been a favorite of mine these days, especially green smoothies that include some type of green goodness. Also, the weather definitely calls for smoothies! Here is a recipe of the smoothie that I have been loving last week.
- cup of spinach
- frozen banana
- cup of mixed blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries
- chia & hemp seed mixed blend
- 1 cup coconut almond milk
- Go ahead and place all your ingredients in a food processor or a blender and add the coconut almond milk of your choice and blend it! Enjoy!
I love to snack! I don’t know how people can just eat three meals and not snack. I love looking forward to snack time. I eat my three meals but also fit in my 3 snacks. My routine is usually like this. I’ll have breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, and snack. It will all really depend on what’s going on that particular day and how busy I am. My recent snack obsession has been homemade guacamole with blue corn chips. I prefer homemade guacamole than any other store bought brand . The store bought Guacamole just doesn’t taste nowhere as good as when I make it.
Guacamole is super healthy. I can eat a whole bowl of it without realizing it. But hey, it beats any junky snack that’s available. I’ll keep telling myself its the good fat so no worries ;). This recipe is super simple and super delicious as an appetizer, snack, and hell, even as a sandwich spread!
- 2 Fresh ripe avocado
- 1 Lime
- Bunch of Cilantro
- 1 Red onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 Tomato
- Black pepper, Cayenne pepper, salt to taste
- Go ahead and chop your ingredients up, I’ll admit, it makes it easier to use a food processor and let it chop finely.
- If you are using a Food processor to chop your ingredients, make sure to add some squeezed lemon juice so it can get even more flavorful.
- Place your finely chopped mixture and add it to the avocado in a separate big bowl.
- Once you have all the mixture in with the avocado, put a tablespoon of black pepper, cayenne, salt, and a tad squeeze of lime juice and mash it until you get a desired creamy texture.
I am back yet again with a delicious healthy smoothie recipe! After all, I did promise that every Friday I will be showcasing a smoothie that I’ve been loving this week. The weather this week has me drinking smoothies daily. Smoothie’s are perfect for days when it’s scorching hot and you don’t know what you want to eat. This recipe definitely refreshes you and keeps you feeling satisfied and your hunger at bay!
- Frozen Banana
- 1 cup Baby Spinach
- 1 cup Frozen/fresh Raspberries & Strawberries
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Chia seed & Hemp seed blend
- Gather all your ingredients and blend them all up & enjoy!
What smoothie recipe’s or refreshing drinks have you been enjoying this week? I’d love to know. Also stay tuned for more healthy smoothie inspirations every Friday!
I am going to be sharing with you my favorite moisturizer at the Moment! When I am choosing a skincare moisturizer, I try to find one that has plant based ingredients. Just natural ingredients I can actually pronounce. Please do educate yourself when choosing what to put on your skin. It’s really important that you stay away from toxic chemicals and ingredients that are in most mainstream products nowadays. They do more harm than good in the long run.
My skin is typically on the drier side so I do moisturize my face everyday, especially every morning after I have washed my face. I also try to incorporate lot’s of water throughout my day. It’s really important you make sure you stay hydrated! I really feel a difference when I am not drinking enough water and my skin does suffer. So do stay hydrated by drinking water and include lot’s of fruit into your meal plan.
Every few months or so, I like to try out different moisturizers for my skin. Currently the one I have been testing for about 3 months is SHEATERRA ROSE HIPS REPLENISH FACE CREAM. It supposedly says it replenishes dry aging skin and plumps cell. I love the natural ingredients and it’s made with pure moroccan rose water! Let me tell you, It smells divine. I love rose hip scent and it will leave your skin feeling soft and smelling like roses! Once you apply it to your skin, it leaves it smooth and really hydrates it. I am almost done with my container and I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase another container.
So every week now, I try to change up my weekly smoothie. I’ll usually stick to a smoothie recipe I am really loving until I get tired of it. This week it’s been Spinach, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, coconut water, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and a spoonful of Organic Green Superfood powder ( for the additional greens ). I think from now on, every Friday I will be posting a smoothie recipe…and call it smoothie of the week. I would love for you to join me and share your smoothie of the week as well.
- Cup of mixed berries ( Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries )
- Cup of Coconut Water
- Cup of Baby spinach
- Tablespoon of Chia Seed
- Tablespoon of Hemp Seed
- Tablespoon of Green Super Green powder ( Goes by the brand of Sun food )
- Now once you have all your ingredients, go ahead and blend it all up.
- I know, it doesn’t look appetizing at all! But hey, don’t judge a book by it’s cover! I guarantee though that it tastes delicious and it is super packed with nutritious goodness that your body will surely thank you!
Middle eastern cuisine is actually one of my favorite. I have been a pescatarian for about 2 years now. The only exception is I have cut out all other fish except salmon! From now and then, I will have myself a helping of a salmon dish. I love that the middle eastern cuisine is very friendly in incorporating lot’s of vegetarian ( and can easily be adjusted vegan with few swaps here and there ) friendly meals. I am all about herbs and fresh produce. I love falafels, tabouleh, vegetable kebabs, bread soaked in olive oil, spanakopita..the list could go and on.
Oh, yes, I didn’t forget about HUMMUS! Hummus dressings, warm pita drenched in hummus spread, celery and carrots dipped in hummus, hummus scooped by the spoon ( Yes, I do that when I am telling myself to lay off the carbs a bit ) Living in New York city kind of got me spoiled. All around New York City, is full of amazing middle eastern and mediterranean restaurants with some nice twists of hummus dishes. I recently came across a nice big can of Garbanzo beans in my cupboard and the first thing that came to my head was to attempt to make a simple hummus dish! I totally saw, came, and conquered! All I will ever need is this hummus recipe! It was super quick to make and I am going to share my simple recipe with you all. Go and get yourself some nice fat warm doughy pita bread. You won’t regret it.
- Cup of Garbanzo/chick peas ( I used can version )
- 1 whole slice lemon
- Cumin/Black pepper/Paprika/Sea salt
- 2 fresh garlic cloves ( not pictured )
- Extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- Cup tahini ( sesame seed paste )
- So, first thing you do is put the tahini inside the food processor ( or blender ) and squeeze your lemon and mix ( 30 seconds ) until you see the mixture has gotten creamy
- Add in some olive oil and mix again for 30 seconds
- Now, Add your garbanzo beans, your spices, and fresh garlic, some more olive oil and mix for about 1 minute or until the mixture becomes creamy.
- Now, I just transfer the hummus goodness to a bowl and finish garnishing it with lots of olive oil for my pita bread that’s getting toasted.
So this will mark my 9th month of not applying aluminum based deodorant. The mainstream deodorants out there are heavily toxic! They all include ” Aluminum ” which is a metal and it is used in deodorants to temporarily block your sweat glands from perspiration. Your underarm pores are visible and overtime, all that medal seeps through your pores. Sweating is good for the body! It’s your bodies way of ridding itself out of toxins. Instead, millions of people have been brainwashed that sweat is bad and that we must slather our armpits with antiperspirant deodorant. It’s pretty sad really how we have been brainwashed. Commercialized deodorants also have been linked to breast cancer, and many other diseases.
Don’t you want to be on the safer side? It’s only common sense that if you feed yourself right, you should also want to treat your appearance as well with the right things like haircare products, skincare products..etc. Really, just be mindful on the products you do use on your body. If the ingredients on the back just sound too hard to pronounce, then ditch that product out and find a natural alternative.
I’ll admit, the process was and is still scary. I am a huge sweater. Like, I can sweat even without doing any hard work. I haven’t personally found a deodorant that REALLY works for me yet. The journey still continues. Here are some of the ones I have tested out. I will rate them from top to least favorites.
- Primal Pit paste ( Lavender ) – This is the one I am currently been wearing at the moment. It has a subtle scent, not at all overpowering and seems to only work half the day and you have to reapply again. I would give this a 7.5
- Schmidts ( Bergamot – Lime ) – This has a really nice lemony scent. The thing I don’t like about this deodorant is it makes my underarm itch. A little product goes a long away. If I put too much, it starts clumping. I would give this a 5
- Zatik ( Lavendar sage ) – This smells okay. It’s advertised as a lavender scent but I don’t get much of that scent. It smells very plain. Doesn’t do the job at all at keeping the sweating or smell at bay. I would give this a 4
- Soapwalla Deodorant Cream ( citrus ) – I liked using it at first but the application just annoyed me. I’d get my hands dirty because you have to apply it with your hands and the citrus smell just did not work with my body chemistry at all. I would give this a 3.5
- Kiss my Face ( Patchouli ) – I envisioned the smell to be nice and subtle. The smell was just so overpowering and it bothered me. I would give this a 2
- Jasons ( Fresh cucumber ) – JUST NO.NO.NO.NO. Smells absolutely horrible. Would not suggest to anyone. I don’t know how this was advertised as fresh cucumber? Gave this a zero.
Have anyone of you lovely readers tested any of these deodorants or have any suggestions? I’d love to hear your feedback!