So my partner and I did a huge grocery/pantry shopping 🛒 and I thought why not track my grocery/budget shopping to keep me accountable. For this new year we both want to start eating healthier as well as save money. We like shopping in bulk because it saves us from going to the local market each and every time we need something and anyways when you shop bulk its most always cheaper. So for now on I want to start posting every month my BJ’s haul as well as some weekly grocery hauls here and there. So for this BJ’s trip we spent much more than usual just because we don’t have access to our car ( its being repaired) and took this chance and borrowed my partners mom’s car and stocked up on some staples as you will see..we doubled up on each item. Im guessing this should last us at least until sometime in February. This whole haul cost us exactly $307.50 as you can see from the photo I I didnt include the Perrier nor the 2.5lb of coffee as well as eggs, quinoa and four pounds of cheese ( dont judge 😒😋 )
This is a super easy and simple recipe that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner or hell even snack! Super easy to include whatever your heart may desire! Also burritos are a great addition to your meal plan as it’s very easy to include lots of greens in and take less than 15 minutes of your day to make! Check out the video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH3adCumU18
Check out an easy and super healthy red lentil soup with kale & Broccoli video recipe! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrTmfEo5yJk
These days I have been super busy and have missed blogging! I am back once again with a smoothie recipe that should have been posted last friday! Smoothie’s have been a favorite of mine these days, especially green smoothies that include some type of green goodness. Also, the weather definitely calls for smoothies! Here is a recipe of the smoothie that I have been loving last week.
- cup of spinach
- frozen banana
- cup of mixed blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries
- chia & hemp seed mixed blend
- 1 cup coconut almond milk
- Go ahead and place all your ingredients in a food processor or a blender and add the coconut almond milk of your choice and blend it! Enjoy!
New York City weather is driving me insane. These past few days, it’s been chilly. Sun will come out now and then. I just want it to be consistently warm! It is already may after all! I have also been really congested lately. Maybe it has to do with the weather..I don’t know. But I do know one thing for sure! Eating abundance of spicy foods surprisingly helps with the congestion! I have been eating variety of dishes that include lot’s of spices and herbs. I am going to be sharing with you my latest favorite super simple spiced dish.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup quinoa ( I used tricolor )
- Maya Kaimal Butter Masala ( in the flavor of creamy tomato & ginger )
- Curry powder / Turmeric/Paprika/Salt/Black pepper
- Sautee your mushrooms until they are soft, and then add in your garlic and the broccoli.
- Now go ahead and add your curry powder, black pepper, turmeric
- In a separate pot of pan, place 2 cups of water and add in your choice of cup of quinoa. Let it cook until all the water has been absorbed. ( usually 20 mins )
- When your broccoli has started to look soft, add the butter masala into the pan and let it cook on medium to low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Once your quinoa is done as well as the vegetables, transfer to a dish and enjoy!
I try to personally not eat eggs all the time. At the moment, I am cutting down my intake of animal/ dairy products. I will have eggs when I have a craving for them which is usually once every other week. I try to not eat them often due to ethical reasons and when I do eat them, I always get cage free eggs. I don’t have access to a local farm as I live in the city but I do try my best to purchase humane ones as possible.
This morning I woke up and was conflicted on what I should eat for breakfast. I didn’t particularly have a taste for anything. I looked inside my fridge and I saw that my mushrooms had to be eaten as soon as possible or else they’d go bad. I had spinach. I also had eggs. So I whipped up a really quick and simple yet nutritious breakfast.
- Baby spinach
- Cherry tomatoes
- Cumin/Salt/Pepper/Yellow mustard/Avocado ( to top )
- Heat some olive oil in a pan, place the mushrooms and let it cook until all the water content from the mushrooms have disappeared.
- Add the chopped garlic, black pepper, cumin, salt, cherry tomatoes and the baby spinach and let it sautee for about 6 minutes.
- Now go ahead and boil the eggs and once done, set it on a plate. I love eating hard boiled eggs with yellow mustard and top it off with an avocado ( I had about half an avocado that was about to go bad so I used the rest of it )
It’s such a warm sunny day here in New York City. I love all the yearly seasons. My favorite would have to be warm weather. I just love the sunshine, smelling beautiful flowers, and drinking and eating refreshing food. I find myself wanting to eat salads more, juicy fruits, and eating raw meals instead of cooked.
Today I have a refreshing delicious salad that is super simple to make and simply easy to accompany any main dish you have. It seriously is good topped on anything! Sandwiches, eggs, rice,..the list can go on and on. This is a middle eastern revised tabbouleh salad without any bulgur.
- Tomatoes ( I personally used cherry tomatoes because thats what I have at the moment )
- Fresh Lemon or lemon juice
- Apple cider vinegar/ Vinegar
- Salt/Black pepper
- Once you have gathered all your ingredients, go ahead and chop them up..you can chop it fine or as you can see, I don’t mind them chunky.
- Place all the ingredients in a nice big bowl, add the squeezed lemon, salt/pepper for taste and add your choice of vinegar. I’d suggest to place it in the fridge for 30 minutes just so the flavors can marinate!
It’s a lovely day and I am here to present you with a delicious guilt free indulgent snack! They are super delicious, includes only 4 simple natural ingredients, and is very quick to make! No baking required! These are the perfect sized snack to eat whenever you want instant energy and all the ingredients are sure to keep you satisfied for hours!
Cup Cocoa Powder
Huge spoonful of Almond butter
Huge spoonful of hemp hearts
Now that you have gathered all your ingredients, put everything into the food processor (if you don’t have one, you can use the blender )
Now turn that food processor, and MIX MIX MIX
Doesn’t that just look simply beautiful?! So now you’ll have a thick smooth sticky mixture, and all you need to do now is assemble them into little balls or however size you want them. Once you have put all the mixture into portion sized balls, you can then also dust the balls with some more cocoa powder and put them into the fridge for about 30 minutes to get more a solid shape but it’s not a necessity! Now pop one into your mouth and enjoy!
It literally only takes about less than 5 minutes and you have yourself a delicious healthy snack!
My hair has always been on the dry side. Also, it’s super curly. Ever since I got my hair colored about 6 months ago, my hair has been looking very dull and gets tangled very quickly. I don’t wash my hair often and don’t have the time to spend hours and hours detangling and brushing my hair every day. I aim to wash my hair at least 2 times a week. I have cut out all commercial and mainstream hair products out of my hair washing routine. I try to use natural ingredients and products as much as possible. In most every commercialized hair product even body washes, they all have one ingredient and that is sodium lauryl sulfate, or SLS.
SLS is what makes your cleaning agent foam. It’s toxic and has been linked to many health and skin problems and if I were you , I’d try to stay clear away from any product containing this “chemical”. Look for products that say ” SLS free”..or better yet make your own! You can’t get better than that! I will share one of my most recently favorite homemade all natural 5 ingredient cleansing/ conditioning treatment.
- Black castor oil
- Coconut oil
- Avocado oil
- Blackstrap mollasses
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Table spoon of each ingredient, mix all together in a warm bowl and apply it to the roots and massage into the scalp. Let it sit for 30 minutes and rinse as usual.
I don’t know about you but if I don’t eat breakfast in the morning shortly after waking up, I start feeling a headache coming and sort of nauseous. I try to always have a huge cup of water before I start eating anything. Remember, your body was fasting while you were asleep. It’s good you first hydrate yourself, wait a little, and then make yourself a hearty breakfast. Choosing a healthy breakfast will really help you stay on track and really motivate you to choose the right foods during the day. I know personally if I start my day with a not so healthy choice like a chocolate chip cookie, I will probably not eat healthier later on. I love looking forward to breakfast! I try to always change up what I eat for breakfast so that I am likely to not get bored.
Lately, I have been obsessed with bagels! I am trying to consume less dairy so I don’t use cream cheese, instead I have been using avocado to replace that fatty creamy goodness spread. I like getting bagels from Whole Foods, and scooping out the innards, toasting it just till the edges get a little crispy and the inside soft. I then scoop out avocado slices, spread it on the bagel and add some garlic powder and black pepper. I try to make it more heartier and filling by sautéing baby kale/spinach and 1 egg on a separate pan and add it to my bagel. I discovered that a squeeze of lime added on my bagel brings out so much flavor! If I am feeling a bit fancy, I will add sliced tomatoes as well. I hope this inspires you to have a delicious nutritious filled breakfast! What is your favorite go to breakfast food?